Through support from a generous donor and a supplementary commitment from the college, the Virginia Tech College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Alumni Organization offers a mentoring program for sophomores in the college.
Our students, who are are seeking opportunities for professional growth, networking, and career exploration, need you to share your time and talents.
CALS alumni are invited to apply to mentor a student for the 2018-19 academic year. Applications are due no later than Aug. 15, 2018.
- The mentoring program begins in mid-September and closes in mid-March.
- The mentor-mentee pair will be expected to communicate at least once a month.
- The mentor should plan to assist the student in preparing for upcoming internships and job fairs by reviewing the student's résumé and arranging a mock interview.
- The mentor (or another agreed-upon individual) should host the mentee for a day of job shadowing, if possible.
- Better preparation for entering the workplace
- Enhanced goal-setting, interviewing, and résumé skills
- Professional-skills development and networking opportunities
- Access to internship and employment opportunities
- Identify potential talent for industry
- Participate in increased on-campus interactions
- Share valuable professional experience
- Strengthened ties with alumni
- Potential new opportunities for collaboration
- Stronger connection between industry and the college
Benefit for All Involved
- Strengthening and building meaningful relationships among generations of Hokies
Sophomores, don't miss this opportunity to be mentored by a CALS alum!
Women in STEM — Richmond
Tuesday, Feb. 26
Science Museum of Virginia
Women in STEM — NCR
Wednesday, Feb. 27
Virginia Tech Arlington Research Center
CALS Alumni Organization Celebration of Ut Prosim
Friday, March 22
3:30-5 p.m., Presentation of Awards
5-6 p.m., Reception
The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center
* Register by March 15