Graduate students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences are valued colleagues who conduct advanced research and disseminate knowledge in the classroom and beyond. Our programs are as varied as our students and can accommodate a wide variety of interests and career goals. Our nationally and internationally recognized faculty members provide close mentoring and will help you navigate the complexities of graduate school.
There are 12 departments that offer a wide range of graduate programs. Please visit their websites to learn about individual faculty members and their programs. Below is a link to the graduate programs of each department.
Financing Graduate School
Almost all of our graduate students are supported by an assistantship, many on research assistantships from grants.
The John Lee Pratt Graduate Fellowship Program offers graduate students in Animal Nutrition the opportunity to contribute to some of the exciting research in the areas of food animal and equine nutrition. The college's Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program also offers scholarships for graduate students.
Online Graduate Programs
Learn about the Online Masters of Agriculture and Life Sciences program and how you can earn a degree entirely online while you work.
Visit these helpful links on the Graduate School website for specific information regarding graduate studies at Virginia Tech.
- International Students: Learn about services and programs offered to international students and review some of the most frequently asked questions from students that hail from abroad.
- Current Graduate Students: Keep up-to-date with programs and events for current graduate students.
You will also find helpful information on the Diversity Virginia Tech website.
Online Master's Program
Department Graduate Programs
- Agriculture and Applied Economics
- Agricultural, Leadership, and Community Education
- Animal and Poultry Science
- Biological Systems Engineering
- Crop and Soil Environmental Sciences
- Dairy Science
- Food Science and Technology
- Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise
- Plant Pathology, Physiology, and Weed Science