The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences finds ways to preserve our natural resources and improve lives and communities worldwide.
Assistant Professor Jacob Lahne and research associate Katherine Phetxumphou of the Department of Food Science and Technology are using the department’s Sensory Evaluation Lab to conduct a two-part study on how humans perceive the changes in smell and taste that occur throughout the aging process of different American whiskeys. In this first-ever formal sensory study on the aging characteristics, the researchers hope to inform whiskey recipe development and aid distillers in fine-tuning their aging processes.
Connect with CALS
CALS News »
- Sally Entrekin named associate professor of entomology
- Cooperative Extension associate ignites high school students’ interest in science, protecting water supplies
- Government Shutdown: Virginia Tech professor available to explain economic impacts
- Virginia Tech brings together partners in Senegal to tackle youth education, employment
CALS and VCE Events Calendar »
- 1A Commercial Pesticide Recertification Jan 23 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM VCPA Annual Meeting, Doubletree by Hilton, 1021 Koger Center Blvd., Richmond, VA
- Flue-Cured Tobacco Production Meeting Jan 23 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Meherrin River Hunt Club, 435 Dry Creek Rd., South Hill, VA
- Produce Safety Alliance Grower Training and Certification Jan 23 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Tidewater Agricultural Research and Extension Center, 6321 Holland Rd., Suffolk, VA
- Wednesday Walk or Talk Series: Biological Control of the Invasive Tree-of-Heaven Jan 23 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Hahn Horticulture Garden
- Eastern Shore Agriculture Conference and Trade Show Jan 24 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Eastern Shore Community College, 29300 Lankford Hwy., Melfa, VA