College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Welcome to the
Learn more about the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences »
Find your place
1. My academic level will be...
2. I am interested in...
3. Tell me more about...
SmartFarm Innovation Network
In the farm of the future, drones will fly over forests and crops to communicate with robots embedded in harvesting equipment on the ground. Virginia Tech is leading the charge to help local communities thrive and spark a new agricultural and natural resources economy.
Our shared future
Every day, in every corner of the world, the college, Extension, and 4-H are helping communities thrive and grow the next generations of leaders. With your support, there is no limit to the impact we can make in our world.
Join us making a difference in our shared future.
We have the Commonwealth covered!
With 107 local Extension offices, eleven Agricultural Research and Extension Centers, and six 4-H educational centers, we are always within reach. Use the map to locate the office or center in your community.
250 Drillfield Drive (0402)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Dean's office: (540) 231-3724
Academic dean: (540) 231-6503
- Alumni couple's contactless candy slide seen around the world While Chris and Nicole Minor browsed Home Depot's plumbing aisle, their idea for a Halloween candy slide was born. The slide allows for safe pandemic trick-or-treating and is accessible for children with disabilities.
- Alumnus uses Virginia Tech lessons to get ahead of the curve in the wine industry Not many people could lead a business that has planted and managed over 275,000 vines in the region in just six years as Virginia Tech alumnus Carl Tinder, owner and operator of Tinder Cattle and Vineyards, has.
- Virginia Tech hosting food and agricultural cyberbiosecurity workshop Oct. 6-7 The free, virtual event is aimed at leaders in industry, policy, academics, education, commodities, cybersecurity, and biotechnology.
- The sound of plants dancing Smartfarms, like traditional farms, come in all shapes and sizes. Indoor urban gardening is a blossoming arena, and Virginia Tech researchers are studying how these plants can be remotely monitored through video and aural applications for plant health.
CALS Events Calendar
- Sports Turf Research Virtual Field Day https://tinyurl.com/VT-Sports-Turf-Res-Field-Day Oct 30, 2020 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM https://tinyurl.com/VT-Sports-Turf-Res-Field-Day
- Fifteen Minutes in the Forest - Measuring and Merchandizing Logs Oct 30, 2020 12:00 PM - 12:15 PM https://virginiatech.zoom.us/j/97509089739
- From the Ground Up: Starting Community Gardens Tools, tips, and tricks to start a community garden, including at a school or faith-based institution run by volunteers. Registration: https://virginiatech.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIpce-qrjwsG9Gb_ijquKL3rIVfFt9PTxSt Panelists: Adria Bordas, Unit Coordinator & Extension Agent, Agriculture and Natural Resources, VCE Fairfax Kirsten Conrad, Extension Agent, Agriculture and Natural Resources, VCE Arlington & VCE Alexandria Moderated by: David Sachs, Friends of Urban Agriculture Oct 30, 2020 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM https://virginiatech.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIpce-qrjwsG9Gb_ijquKL3rIVfFt9PTxSt
- Livestock Genetics & Genomics - Using genome editing for livestock health Nov 04, 2020 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM https://virginiatech.zoom.is/i/96216734567
- Graduate Seminar Dana Bryant, M.S. Student "Alternative Treatments for Mastitis" Nov 04, 2020 4:00 PM - 11:59 PM ZOOM
- Natural Area Management Services Webinar Series Learn About Expanding Green Industry Services to your Clientele Nov 05, 2020 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM https://treesvirginia.org/events