College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Picture yourself at
Find your place
1. My academic level will be...
2. I am interested in...
3. Tell me more about...
SmartFarm Innovation Network
In the farm of the future, drones will fly over forests and crops to communicate with robots embedded in harvesting equipment on the ground. Virginia Tech is leading the charge to help local communities thrive and spark a new agricultural and natural resources economy.
Our shared future
Every day, in every corner of the world, the college, Extension, and 4-H are helping communities thrive and grow the next generations of leaders. With your support, there is no limit to the impact we can make in our world.
Join us making a difference in our shared future.
We have the Commonwealth covered!
With 107 local Extension offices, eleven Agricultural Research and Extension Centers, and six 4-H educational centers, we are always within reach. Use the map to locate the office or center in your community.
250 Drillfield Drive (0402)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Dean's office: (540) 231-3724
Academic dean: (540) 231-6503
- Virginia Tech hosting food and agricultural cyberbiosecurity workshop Oct. 6-7 The free, virtual event is aimed at leaders in industry, policy, academics, education, commodities, cybersecurity, and biotechnology.
- The sound of plants dancing Smartfarms, like traditional farms, come in all shapes and sizes. Indoor urban gardening is a blossoming arena, and Virginia Tech researchers are studying how these plants can be remotely monitored through video and aural applications for plant health.
CALS Events Calendar
- Best Practices in Post- Harvest Storage and Processing Sep 29, 2020 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM http://bit.ly/cgawebinar
- The Eastern Bluebird: Getting Started, Getting Them to Stay Description: The Eastern Bluebird: Getting Started, Getting Them To Stay. Learn how to attract bluebirds and other native cavity nesters to your yard, and once there, how to keep them coming back. A presentation by Valerie Kenyon Gaffney, Master Gardener and President, Virginia Bluebird Society. Please email email@example.com to register and receive the login code. Sep 30, 2020 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Tree & Urban Forestry Webinar Series Speaker: Dr Eric Wiseman, Virginia Tech Urban tree canopy cover is the aggregation of overhead vegetation in built environments that provides critical ecosystem services ranging from increased property values to better human health. To maximize these benefits, we must understand the spatial and temporal patterns of tree canopy cover. Technology advancements are rapidly improving our ability to assess tree canopy cover and make better decisions about urban forest conservation and management. In this presentation, you will learn about the structure and function of urban tree canopy cover and publicly-available tools to easily assess canopy cover in your community. Thank you to Virginia Cooperative Extension for hosting these webinars! Sep 30, 2020 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM https://treesvirginia.org/events
- Livestock Genetics & Genomics - Genetics foundation: EPDs and genomic testing Sep 30, 2020 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM https://virginiatech.zoom.is/i/96216734567
- Mindfulness and Self-Care for Farmers This webinar will cover the ways farmers can take care of themselves to protect their physical and emotional health through the seasons.Here, Kara Dodson will review yoga postures, movements, and other forms of body work that can help to relieve stress; heal tired, aching muscles and tendons; and restore energy. Dodson will also cover the reasons why self-care should be a priority for all farmers and growers, and the ways that taking care of one's body and mind can improve the vitality and viability of life on a farm. Sep 30, 2020 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
- Coping with a Money Crunch Designed for individuals finding themselves in financial distress and need some helpful information. You can participate in the webinar through Zoom or by calling in on a cell phone or landline. The session will be offered at different times, so you can select the session that is best for you. You must pre-register for your session. Only those who register will receive a participation link. Sep 30, 2020 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM https://tinyurl.com/moneycrunch2020