College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Picture yourself at
Find your place
1. My academic level will be...
2. I am interested in...
3. Tell me more about...
SmartFarm Innovation NetworkTM
In the farm of the future, drones will fly over forests and crops to communicate with robots embedded in harvesting equipment on the ground. Virginia Tech is leading the charge to help local communities thrive and spark a new agricultural and natural resources economy.
Our shared future
Every day, in every corner of the world, the college, Extension, and 4-H are helping communities thrive and grow the next generations of leaders. With your support, there is no limit to the impact we can make in our world.
Join us making a difference in our shared future.
We have the Commonwealth covered!
With 107 local Extension offices, eleven Agricultural Research and Extension Centers, and six 4-H educational centers, we are always within reach. Use the map to locate the office or center in your community.
250 Drillfield Drive (0402)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Dean's office: (540) 231-3724
Academic dean: (540) 231-6503
- Alumnus and epidemiologist tries to stem the tide of COVID-19 misinformation on Twitter While Michael Bazaco, a graduate of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and now an epidemiologist at the University of Maryland, believes that social media has been instrumental in the spread of false or misleading info related to COVID-19, he also thinks that it can be used for good.
- Soil Judging Team collaborates with NASA in "Plant the Moon" challenge In this second installment of looking at how Virginia Tech researchers and students address complex problems, the School of Plant and Environmental Sciences Soil Judging Team is working with NASA to grow vegetables as part of a global science experiment to learn how to grow crops in a hostile environment.
- New Virginia Seafood Agricultural Research and Extension Center construction progressing on schedule The Virginia Seafood AREC is at the heart of an industry that has an annual economic impact of more than $550 million, accounts for more than 5,600 jobs, and increases the state’s economic portfolio.
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences launches Center for Advanced Innovation in Agriculture to prepare industry for future The Center for Advanced Innovation in Agriculture will focus on scientific discovery and the application of technology-driven innovative solutions for the agricultural challenges of tomorrow.
CALS Events Calendar
- USDA Information Session Apr 22, 2021 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Seminar "Hardware Disease: Symptoms, Significance, and Solutions", Hailey Galyon, M.S. Student Apr 22, 2021 4:00 PM - 11:59 PM Via Zoom
- Contained Excitement - Outdoor Container Garden Basics Join Extension Master Gardener Anne Reed to learn the basics of growing flowers and vegetables in containers, including bio-containers, growing medium, moisture, fertilizer, plant selection and care, and overwintering your potted garden. Trending topics will include container gardening with roses, citrus, and other fruits, shade plantings, porch pots, and more! Free. RSVP at https://mgnv.org/events/ to receive link to participate. Apr 23, 2021 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
- Marketing the health and nutrition benefits of food products Apr 26, 2021 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Farm Equipment Safety Apr 27, 2021 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Hive Inspections and Expansions Apr 28, 2021 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM