The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences tackles the complex challenges facing our world. Working together, we explore ways to preserve our natural resources and improve the economic prosperity and quality of life for people around the globe — for generations to come.
Now on Campus
Led by Department of Food Science and Technology Assistant Professor Jacob Lahne and Professor Emeritus Bruce Zoecklein, CALS researchers are evaluating the effects of grape dehydration on wine quality. The goal is to enhance the process of grape dehydration, thereby lowering the cost of production and improving wine quality.
Albeit pretty, the spotted lanternfly is a terror, damaging agricultural crops and wreaking havoc in homeowners' backyards.
If you see this highly invasive species, report it to CALS researchers so they can track its spread.
A rising senior majoring in agribusiness, Chandler Vaughan will work under the Virginia secretary of agriculture and forestry through the Governor’s Fellows Program, established in 1982 to offer Virginia statecollege students a chance to serve the commonwealth.
Richard Veilleux, the Julian and Margaret Gary Professor of Horticulture and interim head of the Department of Horticulture, received the Virginia Tech Graduate School’s 2018 Faculty Outstanding Mentor Award for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
Andy Swiger Land-Grant Award Winners
Recognizing faculty whose creative accomplishments help fulfill the land-grant mission of addressing state and national needs through teaching, research, and Extension
Learn more about the newest faculty members in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
Connect with CALS
More News »
- Jennifer Schafer Zabinsky named Outstanding Recent Undergraduate Alumna of Virginia Tech’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Zabinsky, a 2009 graduate of human nutrition, foods, and exercise, is the associate athletics director of sports nutrition at Virginia Tech.
- Virginia Tech scientists who identified dangerous Giant Hogweed in Clarke County hopeful that it will be contained “It’s a dangerous plant but I’m not overly concerned about it. This seems to be an isolated incident,” said Virginia Tech’s Michael Flessner, an assistant professor and extension weed science specialist.
- Olivera Jankovska named Outstanding Recent Graduate Alumna of Virginia Tech’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Jankovska, a 2011 graduate of agricultural and applied economics, is a UNICEF Global Citizenship Fellow, a highly coveted position that uses community engagement to create transformational change in the lives of children around the world.
Events Calendar »
- National Extension Technology Community (NETC) Annual Conference Jun 20, 2018 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center, Blacksburg, VA
- Learn at Lunch: Migrating Insects on the Blue Ridge Parkway Jun 20, 2018 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Hahn Horticulture Garden
- National Extension Technology Community (NETC) Annual Conference Jun 21, 2018 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center, Blacksburg, VA
- Certified Fertilizer Applicator Recertification Jun 21, 2018 10:00 PM - 12:00 PM WEBINAR
- Paper, Paint, and Petals Jun 23, 2018 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM Hampton Roads Agricultural Research and Extension Center, 1444 Diamond Springs Rd., VA Beach, VA