College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Welcome to the
Learn more about the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences »
Find your place
1. My academic level will be...
2. I am interested in...
3. Tell me more about...
SmartFarm Innovation Network
In the farm of the future, drones will fly over forests and crops to communicate with robots embedded in harvesting equipment on the ground. Virginia Tech is leading the charge to help local communities thrive and spark a new agricultural and natural resources economy.
Our shared future
Every day, in every corner of the world, the college, Extension, and 4-H are helping communities thrive and grow the next generations of leaders. With your support, there is no limit to the impact we can make in our world.
Join us making a difference in our shared future.
We have the Commonwealth covered!
With 107 local Extension offices, eleven Agricultural Research and Extension Centers, and six 4-H educational centers, we are always within reach. Use the map to locate the office or center in your community.
250 Drillfield Drive (0402)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Dean's office: (540) 231-3724
Academic dean: (540) 231-6503
- Alumnus uses Virginia Tech lessons to get ahead of the curve in the wine industry Not many people could lead a business that has planted and managed over 275,000 vines in the region in just six years as Virginia Tech alumnus Carl Tinder, owner and operator of Tinder Cattle and Vineyards, has.
- Student voices helping to highlight importance of inclusion in the sciences at Virginia Tech Inclusive Excellence Student Fellows seek to inspire students of color, transfers, and first-generation students to pursue their goals and learn from the stories of people from diverse backgrounds who have preceded them.
- Virginia Tech hosting food and agricultural cyberbiosecurity workshop Oct. 6-7 The free, virtual event is aimed at leaders in industry, policy, academics, education, commodities, cybersecurity, and biotechnology.
- The sound of plants dancing Smartfarms, like traditional farms, come in all shapes and sizes. Indoor urban gardening is a blossoming arena, and Virginia Tech researchers are studying how these plants can be remotely monitored through video and aural applications for plant health.
CALS Events Calendar
- Livestock Genetics & Genomics - Genetics of feed efficiency in beef cattle Oct 28, 2020 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM https://virginiatech.zoom.is/i/96216734567
- Graduate Seminar Alexis Hruby, Ph.D. Student "Enter Sandman--How the wrong bed(ding) type can increase dairy cow stress responses and impact production efficiency" Oct 28, 2020 4:00 PM - 11:59 PM ZOOM
- Natural Area Management Services Webinar Series Learn About Expanding Green Industry Services to your Clientele Oct 29, 2020 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM https://treesvirginia.org/events
- Victory Garden: The Insects Might Inherit the Earth Oct 29, 2020 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM https://virginiatech.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEldOGvrzspGtIpWIl90dO-yA3XClh3OYN-
- Sports Turf Research Virtual Field Day https://tinyurl.com/VT-Sports-Turf-Res-Field-Day Oct 30, 2020 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM https://tinyurl.com/VT-Sports-Turf-Res-Field-Day
- Fifteen Minutes in the Forest - Measuring and Merchandizing Logs Oct 30, 2020 12:00 PM - 12:15 PM https://virginiatech.zoom.us/j/97509089739