College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Center for Advanced Innovation in Agriculture
In the farm of the future, drones will fly over forests and crops to communicate with robots embedded in harvesting equipment on the ground. Virginia Tech is leading the charge to help local communities thrive and spark a new agricultural and natural resources economy.
Our shared future
Every day, in every corner of the world, the college, Extension, and 4-H are helping communities thrive and grow the next generations of leaders. With your support, there is no limit to the impact we can make in our world.
Join us making a difference in our shared future.
We have the Commonwealth covered!
With 107 local Extension offices, eleven Agricultural Research and Extension Centers, and six 4-H educational centers, we are always within reach. Use the map to locate the office or center in your community.
250 Drillfield Drive (0402)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Dean's office: (540) 231-3724
Academic dean: (540) 231-6503
- iTHRIV funds efforts to combat obesity, understand self-harm, and reduce waste by Virginia Tech scientists and partners The integrated Translational Health Research Institute of Virginia awarded $200,000 in pilot funds to five multi-institutional research projects at the University of Virginia School of Medicine, Virginia Tech, Inova Health System, and Carilion Clinic.
- Food safety expert warns against holiday foodborne illnesses, provides tips to avoid spending Thanksgiving festively ill To have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving Day meal with family and friends, proper food safety precautions should be taken to avoid foodborne illness, says expert.
- Research drives cybersecurity innovation, inspiration in Southwest Virginia As the urgency of cybersecurity reaches a higher pitch, the Southwest node of the Commonwealth Cyber Initiative gathered on Virginia Tech’s campus in late October. The event allowed collaborators to meet in person for the first time and advance cybersecurity strategies throughout the region and the commonwealth.
- Powered by food (waste): Virginia Tech researchers discover potential method to convert food waste into batteries As the world works toward economically and environmentally friendly ways to power these devices, two Virginia Tech researchers investigate how food waste and its associated biomass can be converted into rechargeable batteries.
CALS Events Calendar
- Beginning Farmers: Step by Step Tutorial: Using FREE Google Forms to take Online Orders Nov 30, 2021 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Hokie Dairy Day Blacksburg, VA Dec 04, 2021 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- Hokie Dairy Day Registration deadline: November 22, 2021 Click "More information" link to register. Dec 04, 2021 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- Beginning Farmers: Becoming Debt-Free: A Simple Secret to Your Long-Term Success in Farming and Life! In this class, we will share the simple secret to being a long-term success in farming and life: Becoming Debt-Free! You will learn the deep importance of not going into debt to start a farm business and how participants can use a personalized worksheet to determine if they can financially take on a beginning farm enterprise. If you are considering investing yourself into a new farm business, do yourself a favor and attend this class! Dec 07, 2021 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM