College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Find your place
1. My academic level will be...
2. I am interested in...
3. Tell me more about...
Center for Advanced Innovation in Agriculture
In the farm of the future, drones will fly over forests and crops to communicate with robots embedded in harvesting equipment on the ground. Virginia Tech is leading the charge to help local communities thrive and spark a new agricultural and natural resources economy.
Our shared future
Every day, in every corner of the world, the college, Extension, and 4-H are helping communities thrive and grow the next generations of leaders. With your support, there is no limit to the impact we can make in our world.
Join us making a difference in our shared future.
We have the Commonwealth covered!
With 107 local Extension offices, eleven Agricultural Research and Extension Centers, and six 4-H educational centers, we are always within reach. Use the map to locate the office or center in your community.
250 Drillfield Drive (0402)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Dean's office: (540) 231-3724
Academic dean: (540) 231-6503
- In memoriam: Michael G. Miller, alumnus from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Miller, a graduate of the Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and an accomplished entrepreneur, had also served on the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors.
- Virginia Tech expert: Consumers right to be concerned about inflation Inflation is rising at its highest rate in more than a decade and is now impacting most, if not all primary consumer items, according to Virginia Tech economist Mike Ellerbrock.
- Next Tech on Tap: SmartFarm Tech on Tap brings the SmartFarm to Northern Virginia as we discuss 300 years of agriculture technology and the Smart Farm Innovation Network with George Washington's Mount Vernon.
- Two new grants will address major threats of pests and weeds to Virginia’s thriving agriculture industry A pair of grants awarded by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture to Virginia Tech and Virginia Cooperative Extension will help tackle two of agriculture’s greatest threats: pests and weeds.
CALS Events Calendar
- Solar-powered Water Pumping Systems Please consider joining us for an in-person and hands-on workshop focused on water pumping systems for livestock. Participants will learn the principles and applications of solar-electric water pumping. The primary focus will be on solar-powered water pumping systems, however, some other alternatives will be discussed too. Please join us to learn more about these systems, some considerations for their use, and hear some farmer experiences managing these systems. Oct 21, 2021 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- USDA Information Session Join us for an inviting conversation with various agencies of USDA including Farm Service Agency (FSA), Rural Development (RD), Natural Resources and Conservation Services (NRCS) among others. USDA officials from around the state will share the agencies programs and opportunities for small farmers and will answer your questions concerning eligibility and participation. Join us to stay informed on all the new and current programs USDA has to assist our Virginia farmers. Oct 21, 2021 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Solar-powered Water Pumping Systems Please consider joining us for an in-person and hands-on workshop focused on water pumping systems for livestock. Participants will learn the principles and applications of solar-electric water pumping. The primary focus will be on solar-powered water pumping systems, however, some other alternatives will be discussed too. Please join us to learn more about these systems, some considerations for their use, and hear some farmer experiences managing these systems. Oct 22, 2021 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- How to Care for Houseplants Interested in bringing your gardening hobby indoors or looking to add a little green to your space? Join Extension Master Gardener Interns Evin Morrison and Rebecca Secula to learn about getting plants to thrive in your home. Evin and Rebecca will cover a variety of topics including ideal lighting conditions, potting soil recipes, and how to deal with pests. This presentation is geared toward the beginner houseplant owner but will be a great refresher for anyone looking to make their houseplant ventures more successful. Free. RSVP at https://mgnv.org/events/ to receive a link to participate. Oct 22, 2021 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
- Dedication of the William M. Etgen Large Animal Learning Center 9:00 am Oct 23, 2021 9:00 AM - 11:59 PM
- Introduction to Micro Hydro Systems Please consider joining us for an introductory workshop focused on micro-hydro systems for energy generation. Participants will learn the principles and applications of micro hydro systems. Content will focus on: site assessment, safety procedures, understanding water hydraulics, hydroelectric system components, reaction & impulse hydro turbines, maintenance considerations, among other areas. Oct 23, 2021 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM https://tinyurl.com/VCEmicrohydro