College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Welcome to the
Find your place
1. My academic level will be...
2. I am interested in...
3. Tell me more about...
SmartFarm Innovation Network
In the farm of the future, drones will fly over forests and crops to communicate with robots embedded in harvesting equipment on the ground. Virginia Tech is leading the charge to help local communities thrive and spark a new agricultural and natural resources economy.
Our shared future
Every day, in every corner of the world, the college, Extension, and 4-H are helping communities thrive and grow the next generations of leaders. With your support, there is no limit to the impact we can make in our world.
Join us making a difference in our shared future.
We have the Commonwealth covered!
With 107 local Extension offices, eleven Agricultural Research and Extension Centers, and six 4-H educational centers, we are always within reach. Use the map to locate the office or center in your community.
250 Drillfield Drive (0402)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Dean's office: (540) 231-3724
Academic dean: (540) 231-6503
- Virginia Tech hosting food and agricultural cyberbiosecurity workshop Oct. 6-7 The free, virtual event is aimed at leaders in industry, policy, academics, education, commodities, cybersecurity, and biotechnology.
- The sound of plants dancing Smartfarms, like traditional farms, come in all shapes and sizes. Indoor urban gardening is a blossoming arena, and Virginia Tech researchers are studying how these plants can be remotely monitored through video and aural applications for plant health.
CALS Events Calendar
- Fall Forestry & Wildlife Field Tours - Clarke County (Blandy) Oct 16, 2020 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- Golf Turf Research Virtual Field Day Oct 16, 2020 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM https://tinyurl.com/VT-Golf-Research-Field-Day
- Putting Your Garden to Bed Oct 16, 2020 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM https://mgnv.org/events/
- Fifteen Minutes in the Forest - Spruce-fir Forests Oct 16, 2020 12:00 PM - 12:15 PM https://virginiatech.zoom.us/j/97509089739
- Huddle Up Moms Resource Summit The Roanoke Pregnancy & Postpartum Resource Summit is a signature event that empowers women through education, support and meaningful connections. It is a holistic approach to maternal health which brings together a variety of maternal health providers in the Roanoke area to create a network for women in all stages of pregnancy and postpartum. This will provide an opportunity for women and mothers in the community to find, create, and 'build their village' and educate themselves through interactive workshops, panel interviews, and Q&A sessions. Oct 17, 2020 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Backyard Orchards Description: Join us as we learn from Joel Koci, VA Cooperative Extension Specialist, where our fruit trees originated, what species grow best in our southern Virginia climate, how to select the right species, the importance of soil health, planting, pruning and overall care of these fruiting wonders! Mr. Koci will also demonstrate the right way to plant a fruit tree at an outdoor location within walking distance of the extension office, weather permitting. This is a FREE program! Please register by October 7th. Call the extension office, 434-348-4223, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register. More details can be found on the flyer here. Oct 17, 2020 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM Greensville/Emporia Extension 105 Oak St, Emporia, VA 23847, USA