College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
CALS receives a record
$80 million grant
It is the largest grant received in the university’s history. The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will distribute at least $54 million to producers to enact climate-friendly practices and serve as a pilot program for a national model.
Center for Advanced Innovation in Agriculture
In the farm of the future, drones will fly over forests and crops to communicate with robots embedded in harvesting equipment on the ground. Virginia Tech is leading the charge to help local communities thrive and spark a new agricultural and natural resources economy.
Our shared future
Every day, in every corner of the world, the college, Extension, and 4-H are helping communities thrive and grow the next generations of leaders. With your support, there is no limit to the impact we can make in our world.
Join us making a difference in our shared future.
We have the Commonwealth covered!
With 107 local Extension offices, eleven Agricultural Research and Extension Centers, and six 4-H educational centers, we are always within reach. Use the map to locate the office or center in your community.
250 Drillfield Drive (0402)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Dean's office: (540) 231-3724
Academic dean: (540) 231-6503
- Students tackle pesky plant problems at summer contests Students in Virginia Tech’s School of Plant and Environmental Sciences earned top rankings this summer with skill sets any gardener – amateur or master – might envy.
- Join AgrAbility Virginia on October 19 to learn how the program assists farmers and farm works Join Garland Mason, coordinator of AgrAbility Virginia and associate in the Center for Food Systems & Community Transformation, from 2-3 p.m. on Oct. 19 to hear how AgrAbility Virginia assists farmers and farm workers with illnesses, injuries, or disabilities that impede their ability to work safely, effectively, and productively.
- SmartFarm Innovation Network sees significant increase in talented researchers Virginia Tech’s SmartFarm Innovation Network of skilled and dedicated faculty researchers is rapidly expanding as part of a strategic effort to create a statewide network of interconnected faculty, partners, and resources for scientific discovery and developing and deploying new technologies.
- Undergraduate student researches effects of fusarium head blight, grows career “Creating my own experimental design and working on my project with minimal supervision allowed me to understand exactly what working on research is like and then use that as experience to get started in and further my career,” said Megan Pollok.
CALS Events Calendar
- State Fair of Virginia Youth Livestock Shows Details coming soon Sep 29, 2022 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- State Fair of Virginia Youth Livestock Shows Details coming soon Sep 30, 2022 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- State Fair of Virginia Youth Livestock Shows Details coming soon Oct 01, 2022 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- State Fair of Virginia Youth Livestock Shows Details coming soon Oct 02, 2022 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- 1st Annual 'Leading Ladies in Hokie Nation' Online Charolais Sale Oct 06, 2022 8:00 PM - 11:59 PM Online: salering.live
- 28th Annual Hokie Harvest Sale Join us for the 2022 Hokie Harvest Sale! Oct 28, 2022 6:30 PM - 11:59 PM In-person and Online Sale: salering.live