The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences tackles the complex challenges facing our world. Working together, we explore ways to preserve our natural resources and improve the economic prosperity and quality of life for people around the globe — for generations to come.
Now on Campus
The 2018 Virginia Tech Hokies Soil Judging Team took first place among 22 teams in the group judging event at the Soil Science Society of America’s National Intercollegiate Soil Judging Contest held March 23 in Martin, Tennessee.
In collaboration with researchers from the University of Missouri-Columbia, a Virginia Tech research team has discovered a mechanism responsible for antibiotic resistance in the bacteria that cause leprosy and tuberculosis.
A team of Virginia Tech researchers has found that a fat cell remodeling pathway was regulated by an estrogen receptor (ERa) that played a major role in the difference in fat accumulation among men and women.
Learn more about the newest faculty members in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
Connect with CALS
More News »
- 2018 Graduate School Diversity Scholars share their work on Reading Day Students will give five-minute presentations about their work in lightning round format. The program is free and open to the public.
- Virginia Tech students to run coast-to-coast for cancer awareness Isabelle Stern and Ashley Cooper are gearing up for a far from ordinary summer break. They are training for a 49-day, 4,000-mile run from San Francisco to Baltimore for the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults.
- Tabitha Hartman receives President's Award for Excellence Hartman began working with the Department of Horticulture in 2016. While she was hired to primarily oversee all of the human resource details of the department, she took on additional roles willingly.
Events Calendar »
- Senior Adaptive Gardening Apr 26, 2018 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM Williamson Road Public Library, 3837 Williamson Rd., NW, Roanoke, VA 24012
- Straw Bale Gardening Demonstration Apr 26, 2018 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM Bent Mountain Center, 10140 Tinsley Ln., Bent Mountain, VA
- Senior Adaptive Gardening Apr 27, 2018 10:00 AM - 10:00 AM Blue Ridge Library, 28 State Rte 1400, Roanoke, VA
- Presentation: Trade Capacity Building and Food Security Apr 27, 2018 2:00 PM - 11:59 PM 1810 Litton Reaves
- Grow Your Own - Vegetable Gardening Series Apr 27, 2018 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM Carver Center, 9433 James Madison Hwy., Rapidan, VA 22733