The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences finds ways to preserve our natural resources and improve lives and communities worldwide.
SmartFarm Innovation Network
Harnessing technology to drive future economies
Create a decentralized network of interconnected centers across the commonwealth where Virginia Tech's interdisciplinary researchers and Virginia Cooperative Extension specialists can partner with industries to develop and deploy innovative technologies to increase overall efficiency, resilience, and sustainability of food, agricultural, and natural resources production systems.
Assistant Professor Jacob Lahne and research associate Katherine Phetxumphou of the Department of Food Science and Technology are using the department’s Sensory Evaluation Lab to conduct a two-part study on how humans perceive the changes in smell and taste that occur throughout the aging process of different American whiskeys. In this first-ever formal sensory study on the aging characteristics, the researchers hope to inform whiskey recipe development and aid distillers in fine-tuning their aging processes.
Connect with CALS
CALS and VCE Events Calendar »
- Seminar: Our Collaborative Future in Agriculture: How will you participate and lead? Feb 18 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM HABB1 108
- Salem Public Library Gardening Series: Planning and Planting for Spring Feb 18 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM Salem Public Library, 28 E. Main St., Salem, VA
- Seminar: Deciphering the molecular mechanisms of skeletal muscle plasticity Feb 18 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Fralin Hall Auditorium
- 2019 Cow Calf Conference Feb 19 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM Weyers Cave Community Center, 682 Weyers Cave Rd., Weyers Cave, VA
- 2019 Commercial Pesticide Certification Preparation Course (CORE) Feb 19 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM Rowser Building, 1739 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Stafford, VA