The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences finds ways to preserve our natural resources and improve lives and communities worldwide.
Now on Campus
Peas and Carrots, the National Thanksgiving Turkeys pardoned at the White House by the president, are settled in at Gobbler’s Rest in the Livestock Judging Pavilion on Plantation Road. This is the third consecutive year that the national birds have called Virginia Tech home after their pardoning.
Aiming to help make life better for shelter dogs, Erica Feuerbacher, an assistant professor in the Department of Poultry and Animal Sciences, and a team from Arizona State University will work with approximately 100 shelters to evaluate three types of fostering. The team's reseach is supported by a three-year, $1.7 million grant from Maddie’s Fund, an animal welfare organization.
An interdisciplinary team of CALS researchers — powered by a newly funded $3.7 million grant from the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture — is developing new cultivars of edamame best suited for growth in the United States.
Connect with CALS
CALS News »
- Class of 2018: Molly McKnight uses GIS to show data in 3D
- Three graduate students take top prizes at the 2018 Nutshell Games
- Academic Advising Institute fall cohort finds new ways to serve, guide undergraduate students
- Global Agricultural Productivity Report enables Virginia Tech College of Agriculture and Life Sciences to expand its global reach
CALS and VCE Events Calendar »
- Virginia Turfgrass Short Course Dec 10 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Belmont Recreation Center, 1600 Hilliard Rd., Henrico, VA
- Hands-on Workshops for Dairy Farmers and Industry-related Personnel: Two-day event Dec 10 9:30 AM - 2:00 PM Amelia County Extension Office Classroom, 16360 Dunn St., Suite 202, Amelia, VA
- Registration Deadline: Holiday Wreath Workshop Dec 10 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM Hahn Horticulture Garden
- Virginia Turfgrass Short Course Dec 11 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Belmont Recreation Center, 1600 Hilliard Rd., Henrico, VA
- Produce Safety Alliance Grower Training & Certification Dec 11 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Eastern Henrico Recreation Center, 1440 N. Laburnum Avenue, Henrico, VA 23223
- Ag Breakfast Series: Soil Health and Soil Testing Dec 11 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Ag Marketing Center, 1001 Landfill Lane, Scottsburg, VA