College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
CALS receives a record
$80 million grant
It is the largest grant received in the university’s history. The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will distribute at least $54 million to producers to enact climate-friendly practices and serve as a pilot program for a national model.
Center for Advanced Innovation in Agriculture
In the farm of the future, drones will fly over forests and crops to communicate with robots embedded in harvesting equipment on the ground. Virginia Tech is leading the charge to help local communities thrive and spark a new agricultural and natural resources economy.
Our shared future
Every day, in every corner of the world, the college, Extension, and 4-H are helping communities thrive and grow the next generations of leaders. With your support, there is no limit to the impact we can make in our world.
Join us making a difference in our shared future.
We have the Commonwealth covered!
With 107 local Extension offices, eleven Agricultural Research and Extension Centers, and six 4-H educational centers, we are always within reach. Use the map to locate the office or center in your community.
250 Drillfield Drive (0402)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Dean's office: (540) 231-3724
Academic dean: (540) 231-6503
- Glenda Gillaspy honored with emerita status A member of the Virginia Tech community since 1998, Gillaspy conducted seminal biochemical and molecular genetic research and was a mentor and role model for women in science to both female students and faculty and, in particular, other female department heads.
- Service dog lends super sniffer to enable student to participate in horse lab With the help of her trusty service dog Gideon, Devin Wynne, a senior in the School of Animal Sciences, is experiencing the same renowned educational opportunities available to other students.
- MARE Center offers ‘thorough’ experience for students Animal science students from Virginia Tech gain real-world research experience with former thoroughbred racehorses at the Middleburg Agricultural Research and Extension Center.
- Flexing cyber superpowers in Southwest Virginia Diverse and sometimes unlikely collaborations equip Commonwealth Cyber Initiative research teams to address today’s widely varied cybersecurity challenges.
CALS Events Calendar
- Drop/Add begins Nov 25, 2022 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- Classes resume Nov 28, 2022 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- SAS Ambassador Applications Due The School of Animal Sciences student ambassadors are part of a leadership development program focused on recruiting future APSC AND DASC majors. The ambassador program is open to all APSC & DASC majors with a minimum 2.5 GPA who will have finished at least one semester at VT by January 2023 and have at least one full academic year remainining. Applications due 2:00 pm on Friday, December 2, 2022. Dec 02, 2022 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- Youth Beef Field Day Ages 9-18 welcomed. Groups of 10 or more received a discounted rate. Lunch provided. Register at https://forms.gle/ymhsw2cSTj1ZgEB88. Hosted by the Beef Leadership Council at Virginia Tech. Dec 03, 2022 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM Blacksburg, VA
- Classes end Dec 07, 2022 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- Reading Day Dec 08, 2022 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM