The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is committed to creating a climate that reflects the diversity of its students, staff, and faculty in its teaching, research projects, Extension programs, and international activities. Likewise, the college respects individuals for their unique qualities and their many contributions toward enhancing a culturally rich environment at the university.
The College Diversity Council provides college-wide leadership to promote diversity, guides the recruitment and retention of employees, and supports the inclusion of all people in educational programs and services.
The council’s goal is to support Virginia Tech in its quest to be a supportive academic environment that is fully cognizant of individual differences. The council is also committed to help each person fulfill his or her potential for academic excellence.
Black History Month
Feb. 1 – 28
Consciousness: Caribbean Feminisms and the Politics of Knowledge
Dr. Tonya Haynes
Tuesday, Feb. 19
Friday, Feb. 22
Lavery Hall 350
Transformative Perspectives in Agriculture: A Personal Narrative
Monday, Feb. 25
6:30 p.m., followed by reception
Holtzman Alumni Center Auditorium
Transformation Perspectives in Agriculture: A Discussion with Nate Looney
Tuesday, Feb. 26
Join via Zoom or via Skype for Business
The Other Nègre: The Treatment of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People in Uganda and South Africa
Tuesday, Feb. 26
LGBTQ+ Q*mmunity Support Group
Mondays, 5:30-7 p.m.
Squires 227, the LGBTQ+ Resource Center
Inclusion in Action
- American Indian and Indigenous Community Center director hits the ground running When Melissa Faircloth became director of Virginia Tech’s American Indian and Indigenous Community Center last fall, she brought a wealth of experience, relationships, and dedication to the position. Feb 12, 2019
- Jemele Hill, Tommie Smith speak on civil rights and social justice Hill, a broadcast journalist, and Smith, a gold-medal Olympian, were the keynote speakers on Jan. 31 as part of Virginia Tech's 2019 Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration. Feb 04, 2019
- 2019 Annual Advancing Diversity Workshop engages over 300 attendees on inclusive excellence The Office for Inclusion and Diversity sponsored its 16th annual Advancing Diversity Workshop on Jan. 15 at the Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center. Feb 04, 2019
- More than 200 high school students to participate in Virginia Tech-hosted 2019 Science Olympiad The event is part of the national Science Olympiad, a series of science competitions held in all 50 states designed to help youth improve their understanding in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics and to work together in teams to learn new skills. Jan 30, 2019
- Sounds of China infuses ancient Chinese melodies with modern energy and flair Led by director and composer Ma Jiuyue, the Beijing ensemble will blend traditional Chinese music with forward-looking arrangements during their performance at the Moss Arts Center on Saturday, Feb. 2. Jan 24, 2019
- A message from President Tim Sands in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day Jan 21, 2019
- Virginia Tech researchers tackle the biological invasions crisis Feb 18, 2019
- Graduate student provides inmates with technical training for agricultural work Feb 15, 2019
- Gota Morota named professor of animal and poultry science Feb 15, 2019
- The Fralin Life Science Institute supports sustainability and green lab efforts Feb 15, 2019