The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is committed to creating a climate that reflects the diversity of its students, staff, and faculty in its teaching, research projects, Extension programs, and international activities. Likewise, the college respects individuals for their unique qualities and their many contributions toward enhancing a culturally rich environment at the university.
The College Diversity Council provides college-wide leadership to promote diversity, guides the recruitment and retention of employees, and supports the inclusion of all people in educational programs and services.
The council’s goal is to support Virginia Tech in its quest to be a supportive academic environment that is fully cognizant of individual differences. The council is also committed to help each person fulfill his or her potential for academic excellence.
Black History Month
Feb. 1 – 28
Consciousness: Caribbean Feminisms and the Politics of Knowledge
Dr. Tonya Haynes
Tuesday, Feb. 19
Friday, Feb. 22
Lavery Hall 350
Transformative Perspectives in Agriculture: A Personal Narrative
Monday, Feb. 25
6:30 p.m., followed by reception
Holtzman Alumni Center Auditorium
Transformation Perspectives in Agriculture: A Discussion with Nate Looney
Tuesday, Feb. 26
Join via Zoom or via Skype for Business
The Other Nègre: The Treatment of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People in Uganda and South Africa
Tuesday, Feb. 26
LGBTQ+ Q*mmunity Support Group
Mondays, 5:30-7 p.m.
Squires 227, the LGBTQ+ Resource Center
Inclusion in Action
- Class of 2019: Agricultural and applied economics major finds calling in underrepresented communities Marquelle Benn graduates this December with a newfound understanding of her career calling - helping communities better themselves. Dec 05, 2019
- Global Education Scholarships awarded to 27 students Students from every Virginia Tech college were awarded scholarships to support their plans to study in countries around the world. Nov 27, 2019
- Students are invited to participate in the 2020 Black Alumni Reunion Nov 21, 2019
- Faculty and staff are invited to the 2020 Black Alumni Reunion Nov 21, 2019
- Continuous planning fuels Virginia Tech’s pursuit of strategic priorities Through the continuous planning process, the Virginia Tech Difference: Advancing Beyond Boundaries is intended to be a dynamic and collaborative strategic plan that adapts to the university’s needs. Nov 14, 2019
- Virginia Tech hosts more than 80 students and faculty members at fourth HBCU-MSI Research Summit The summit has grown to include most of the university’s colleges and several university-level research institutes, as well as interdisciplinary graduate education programs. The Graduate School Office of Recruitment, Diversity, and Inclusion organized and coordinated the event. Nov 12, 2019
- Researchers develop long-sought genetic system for unlocking mysteries of special deep-sea methanogen Dec 12, 2019
- Students learn bounty of business experiences by managing campus farm stand Dec 11, 2019
- Tackling the challenges of wildlife field work and breaking trail for an expanded Virginia Tech footprint in Africa Dec 09, 2019
- Department of Food Science and Technology ranked among best in nation for both its undergraduate and master’s programs Dec 06, 2019