The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is committed to creating a climate that reflects the diversity of its students, staff, and faculty in its teaching, research projects, Extension programs, and international activities. Likewise, the college respects individuals for their unique qualities and their many contributions toward enhancing a culturally rich environment at the university.
The College Diversity Council provides college-wide leadership to promote diversity, guides the recruitment and retention of employees, and supports the inclusion of all people in educational programs and services.
The council’s goal is to support Virginia Tech in its quest to be a supportive academic environment that is fully cognizant of individual differences. The council is also committed to help each person fulfill his or her potential for academic excellence.
Advancing the Human Condition
Nov. 28-30, 2017
The Inn at Virginia Tech
October 10, 2017
Diversity in Agriculture and Life Science Panel Discussion
April 25, 2017
Inclusion in Action
- Artist, students to create structures with plastic bottles The project to use plastic bottles for building allows Virginia Tech students to learn about sustainability, recycling, and making something new out of the old. Sep 19, 2018
- Virginia Tech recognized as ‘Top College for Diversity’ and ‘Diversity Champion’ by INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine Virginia Tech will be featured, along with 95 other recipients, in the November 2018 HEED Award issue of INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Sep 14, 2018
- Women in STEM panel discussions to tackle lack of women in sciences, engineering The Virginia Tech College of Science in partnership with Virginia Tech Alumni Association will host two public panel discussions in September focusing on the lack of women in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Sep 14, 2018
- Head of the class: Roanoke high school students get a birds-eye view of Virginia Tech Twenty-one ninth- and 10th-graders from Roanoke County and City schools visited Virginia Tech’s campus earlier this summer to participate in a four-day capstone experience through the Health Professions Enrichment Program (HPEP), aimed at exposing students to the variety of health careers available, whether the patients are humans or animals. Sep 14, 2018
- Focus groups provide ways to learn more about diversity development programs Sep 12, 2018
- Geosciences to host film screening to challenge science gender stereotypes The Virginia Tech Department of Geosciences is sponsoring a Sept. 20 screening of the short documentary film "The Bearded Lady Project: Challenging the Face of Science," followed by a panel discussion. Sep 12, 2018
- Milk protein shown to alleviate chemotherapy side effects could enhance patients’ recovery Sep 25, 2018
- Students examine impacts of pipeline construction through ecological and cultural lens Sep 24, 2018
- Corps of Cadets alumni Capts. Matthew and Candace Weiser named Old Dominion game Hokie Heroes Sep 22, 2018
- CALS Global Opportunity Initiative fellows launch partnerships in Kenya Sep 21, 2018