The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is committed to creating a climate that reflects the diversity of its students, staff, and faculty in its teaching, research projects, Extension programs, and international activities. Likewise, the college respects individuals for their unique qualities and their many contributions toward enhancing a culturally rich environment at the university.
The College Diversity Council provides college-wide leadership to promote diversity, guides the recruitment and retention of employees, and supports the inclusion of all people in educational programs and services.
The council’s goal is to support Virginia Tech in its quest to be a supportive academic environment that is fully cognizant of individual differences. The council is also committed to help each person fulfill his or her potential for academic excellence.
Inclusion in Action
- New initiative seeks to recruit more Native American students The Virginia Tribal Initiative is built on the energy that current and former Native students have brought to Virginia Tech. Nov 29, 2018
- Office for Inclusion and Diversity presents the second annual Advancing the Human Condition Symposium Day one of the symposium will serve as an introductory to the program with an overview of explanations, conversations, and demonstrations on certain critical issues that affect our lives. Day two will be dedicated to engagement around six topics of inquiry Nov 20, 2018
- VT couple celebrates Native heritage Although Devin and Qualla Ketchum do not match the stereotypical image associated with Native Americans, they have strong ties to their respective heritages and honor that component of their identities. Nov 14, 2018
- JUMP campaign to support the first Virginia Tech Latinx Symposium As Virginia Tech continues efforts to recruit a more diverse student population, a symposium to showcase Latinx scholarship and teaching is in the planning stages for March 2019. Carmen Giménez Smith, a professor in the Department of English, is using the JUMP crowdfunding platform to help raise more than funds; she is raising awareness for the needs of Latinx students. Nov 14, 2018
- 'This is day one' - Sands affirms Virginia Tech's commitment to Innovation Campus Students and campus leaders joined in celebrating Virginia Tech's announcement to build an Innovation Campus near Amazon's headquarters facility in Northern Virginia. Nov 13, 2018
- Search committee for director of University Ombuds Office announced The director will establish and lead Virginia Tech’s Ombuds Office, in keeping with the International Ombudsman Association’s principles of independence, neutrality and impartiality, confidentiality, and informality. Nov 06, 2018
- Ann Dunnington honored with emerita status Dec 14, 2018
- Virginia Tech names Chevon Thorpe director of inclusion, diversity, and equity in CALS Dec 12, 2018
- Class of 2018: Agribusiness management major discovers a passion for Habitat for Humanity projects Dec 11, 2018
- Matthew Hulver named assistant dean of health sciences in the Virginia Tech College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Dec 11, 2018